M1 Helmet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi Guys

2 posters

Go down

Hi Guys Empty Hi Guys

Post  surrey_bloke Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:18 am

Hey guys, I am a UK militaria collector, so US M1s are not really my thing, hence me registering here to ask for your knowledge!

However I do have one in my collection and am drawn to this forum for any help identifying it.

Hi Guys Vietna12

Hi Guys Vietna13

I bought it back in the 1990s, in Bangkok, from a stall which sold all sorts of Vietnam era militaria. It came with a desert cover, but this had obviously been added by the seller as it was not designed for the helmet!

It has US20 stamped on the liner (which has a leather chinstrap), an anchor on the chinstrap, and a rough textured pain finish to the outside of the steel pot.

I know nothing about it; its dates, country of origin, country of use, model or whether it would have been used on any operations, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

surrey_bloke

Back to top Go down

Hi Guys Empty Hi And welcome

Post  gaz232sqn Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:00 am

Hi Fellow Brit.

Welcome aboard,I hope you enjoy your stay.

The liner appears to be a 1964-1969 Model,but this one has the leather chinstrap,which was not fitted to this era liner.( so that's a bit of a Mystery)
The mark in the liner (US 20) would date this liner from 61-69,it's actually a US Gov, mould mark,these moulds were leased out to liner manufacturers,so it might have been made by Westinghouse/Capac.

The Chinstraps are certainly Vietnam era ( hence the Anchor) 66-75.

Check inside the steel shell for a heat stamp ( a set of numbers/letters) this will ID the shell as being US issue. The colour looks like a Vietnam era shell ( which is Munsell 10Y3/3) or a kind of Limy green,to be less technical.

Other south east Asian countries ,were supplied with these lids, it may may have been left behind by a G.i,or it might actually be a Thai issue M1.

Hope this helps,and if you get any more M1's please post them, there's a lot of helpful people on this forum

Gary
gaz232sqn
gaz232sqn

http://gary.bickeil@sky.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum